Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Where are the MP3s?

You probably noticed there are no sound files on this blog.

There are two reasons. The first is purely practical. I just don't have access to the space I would need for long-term storage. There are options out there, but they all require more investment than I am willing to make or are otherwise inadequate. I find trying to download a mp3 and getting a file expired message instead very frustrating. I have no desire to 'prune' what readers have access to.

The second is also practical. The companies supporting the RIAA's War On Music Fans have not, as yet, to the best of my knowledge, targeted folks linking to files posted by the artists performing the songs themselves. But what if they did? And what if they go after folks who link to a site with inadvertant (rather than malicious) violations? Given the climate of fear the recording industry fuels I don't have confidence that either of these scenarios will be handled in any sensible or reasonable fashion.

I have no desire to become a casuality as the industry continues desperately to try to push the genie back in the bottle.

I'm just a fan.

No comments: