Friday, March 14, 2008

Bass Girls Directory

You may notice a new link over on the left in the 'Browse' section. I read an article in the local arts paper the other day about Steve Malkmus and the Jicks. I found it interesting that the entire rhythm section - bass and drums - is female.

When I thought about it, that wasn't unknown, even outside bands like Sleater-Kinney or the Runaways. Off the top of my head I could think of Talking Heads' Tina Weymouth, and ... uh ... others I can't recall right now.

I stumbled across www.bassgirls.com while I was trying to fill out the obvious gaps in my knowledge. It's a good resource when looking in to this kind of question. Plus, say what you want about 'girls with guitars' - I'll take bass!

Especially intriguing are gals playing good ol' rockabilly slap bass on an upright.

But that is a much rarer thing.

So I did the logical thing and started a list.

I won't share it yet. Right now a piddly little four names are all I have. Unlike my attempted list of 'female metal vocalists', which rapidly grew to an unmanageable size, this one shows no threat of spiralling out of a controllable state.

More on both lists later.

No comments: